Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: "Claes Bjerner" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:52:41 +0200

Bruce wrote:
> The Minamata shot was taken
> in broad daylight, I understand, yet it looks like it was shot in
> candlelight.

As I recall the light wasn´t all that good! I had to use some Tungsten light
when I shot the same sequence for my TV documentary. But despite the extra
light I could hardly use any of that scene since Tomoko´s mother kept
giggling all the time. She did that out of courtesy! In Japan you are not
supposed to show your own sorrow or sadness to an outside guest. So in order
to hide their true feelings the Japanese often tend to hide themselves
behind a giggle. Gene´s photograph did not suffer from that, but on 16mm
film with sound it was truly disastrous.

>  For instance, it was always well known that his Minamata shot of
> the mother bathing the handicapped boy was set up; I believe he  described
> how he did it in an article or interview I read somewhere.

Gene certainly did not step into that bathroom by coincidence! I am pretty
sure he had arranged everything well in advance, and was properly invited.
If that means he was "setting up" that shot - so be it!

Claes