Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 focus insight/outsight sought
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 08:14:27 -0800

David Strang wrote:

> Hello fellow LUGers!
>
> Well, I picked up the matte focus screen for my R8 and I just had to use it
> for some hockey action. Fortunately, I also used my EOS-1, just to make sure
> I came back with something usable. The most glaring problem with the R8
> besides the lack of a motor drive (the Winder is .... a winder) is the
> incredibly long delay from trigger pull to shutter release. I was pleased
> that the matte screen seems rather nice to use, but the fact is my 80mm f1.4
> is really a bit too short and doesn't offer the needed image magnification.
> My biggest problem was when I examined my negatives. Most of the time my
> focus was behind my subject. This was especially apparent  with static
> objects.
>
> Now, I had read previous posts about the diopter adjustment and I've already
> made those adjustments. I can't help but wonder if my eyes need more
> help....like glasses?
>
> Anyway, has anyone had a focus problem where they consistently focus behind
> the subject when everything looks good in the viewfinder?
>
> BTW, I can't help but feel the R8 with a REAL MOTOR DRIVE would be a
> fantastic sports camera.
> With Leica optics, manual focus, electronic actuated release....awesome!
Snip
Forgive me if you already know this but you're not creeping up to your
subject with a slow turn of the focus ring are you? Not that this would
be possible with a fast moving Hocky Game.
In normal situations you need to pass through the focus area quickly
once or twice, your fingers stop at the right point. With superfast
action this would of course not be possible.
If you creep up to the focus area narmally your brain tells your fingers
to stop moving and they stop after the point has been reached. Depending
on the distance between your brain and your fingertips :).
If this is not clear then someone else should write it better. I have a
feeling there is a few of us Slr users who don't know how to focus.
You need to wiggle.
Mark Rabiner
I reprinted David Strang's whole post intentionally as I thought it necessary.