Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 questions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:23:03 -0600

At 10:54 AM 4/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Eric at Tamarkin mentioned that R4's with serial numbers under 1.5 million
>had a tendency to develop electrical problems which were later resolved in
>the production run.

I thought it was 1.6, but nevertheless. You are right to get a late model.
Make sure you get a Motor Drive R, and not the Motor Drive R4. The R is a
revision with more reliable mechanism, and it has the electrical contacts
that let you use the electrical hand grip. Much nicer. You should find a
good deal. I personally would go for a Leica R4sP if I want to stay in the
R line. If so inclined, check prices on a used R6 or R7. They aren't too
bad, and for more reliable cameras too.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Okay, who put a  stop payment  on my reality check?