Subject: [Leica] long - 80mm Summilux R, R8 Winder, and 100 APO Macro
From: "GBicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 06:29:31 -0600

- ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01BE7F2D.AA040A80

David,

My plane of focus with the 80mm Summilux was just beyond my intended =
distance fully half the time.  And the error was never that I'd focused =
short of my target.  I was working hard to get it right.  For a long =
time, I thought it was me, fiddled with the diopter adjuster, moved it =
back to zero and shot with my glasses on, but I was never able to get =
things the way I wanted them more often than half the shots.  Great =
lens, and great look when it was on, but I could never develop any =
confidence in it.  And the focus point with that lens is its most =
important creative dimension in most shots.  Don't know if it was me, =
the lens, the viewfinder, or some combination, the only pattern was =
focusing just beyond the intended point.  Finally traded it.

I don't find the time between button push and shutter release with the =
winder off or on to be different.  I always [intend] to release the =
shutter from the second detent in the release, and found your comments =
interesting.  I couldn't figure out why the time between button =
compression and shutter release would be different because of having the =
winder on, or why an electronic release on the drive would perform any =
differently than the electronic release on the body.  However, what =
happens AFTER shutter release, will be very different, and I look =
forward to trading my winder on a motor drive, too.  In the literature =
though, it talks about only a 4 frames per second speed on the drive...I =
am hoping that speed is 1.) a conservative estimate, and 2.) with the =
mirror down. =20

You mentioned that the 80mm f1.4 was a tad short for what you were =
doing.  If speed is not absolutely critical, I suggest you try the 100 =
APO-Macro Elmarit.  The look is different, and a little more tele- =
flatter.  Not the terrific bokeh of the 80mm Summilux, but very nice.  =
The extra reach of the 20mm may take you where you want to go, and the =
utility of the razor sharp macro focusing is a tremendous feature.  With =
flowers popping out here in North America, bugs hatching etc., getting =
small is fun.  I like the length for portraits, too.  It's a terrific =
lens.=20

Focus on the 100mm pops in and out quite noticeably, and I my slides =
"look" the way I "saw" the image, not the mystery plane of focus I had =
with the 80mm, whose depth of field wide open was tiny.  No doubt due in =
some measure to the fact that it's naturally going to be deeper wide =
open and more forgiving to error with an f2.8 than an f1.4 lens, but =
when critically, carefully focused, the 100mm gives me more satisfying =
images.  If you're looking for just a little longer, the 100mm is worth =
a try.  Fun to use, wonderful images, great macro capacity, which at =
this length, let's you stay back a little from critters, often not =
disturbing them, when a shorter length would require moving the lens =
closer for the same subject size on film.

Enjoy the light.

Greg

- ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01BE7F2D.AA040A80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>David,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My plane of focus with the 80mm Summilux was just beyond my =
intended=20
distance fully half the time.&nbsp; And the error was never that I'd =
focused=20
short of my target.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was working hard to get it right.&nbsp; =
For a=20
long time, I thought it was me, fiddled with the diopter adjuster, moved =
it back=20
to zero and shot with my glasses on, but I was never able to get things =
the way=20
I wanted them more often than half the shots.&nbsp; Great lens, and =
great look=20
when it was on, but I could never develop any confidence in it.&nbsp; =
And the=20
focus point with that lens is its most important creative dimension in =
most=20
shots.&nbsp; Don't know if it was me, the lens, the viewfinder, or some=20
combination, the only pattern was focusing just beyond the intended =
point.&nbsp;=20
Finally traded it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I don't find the time between button push and shutter release with =
the=20
winder off or on to be different.&nbsp; I always [intend] to release the =
shutter=20
from the second detent in the release, and found your comments=20
interesting.&nbsp; I couldn't figure out why the time between button =
compression=20
and shutter release would be different because of having the winder on, =
or why=20
an electronic release on the drive would perform any differently than =
the=20
electronic release on the body.&nbsp; However, what happens AFTER =
shutter=20
release, will be very different, and I look forward to trading my winder =
on a=20
motor drive, too.&nbsp; In the literature though, it talks about only a =
4 frames=20
per second speed on the drive...I am hoping that speed is&nbsp;1.) a=20
conservative estimate, and 2.) with the mirror down.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You mentioned that the 80mm f1.4 was a tad short for what you were=20
doing.&nbsp; If speed is not absolutely critical, I suggest you try the =
100=20
APO-Macro Elmarit.&nbsp; The look is different, and a little more tele-=20
flatter.&nbsp; Not the terrific bokeh of the 80mm Summilux, but very =
nice.&nbsp;=20
The extra reach of the 20mm may take you where you want to go, and the =
utility=20
of the razor sharp macro focusing is a tremendous feature.&nbsp; With =
flowers=20
popping out here in North America, bugs hatching etc., getting small is=20
fun.&nbsp; I like the length for portraits, too.&nbsp; It's a terrific =
lens.=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Focus on the 100mm pops in and out quite noticeably, and I&nbsp;my=20
slides&nbsp;"look" the way I "saw" the image, not the mystery plane of =
focus I=20
had with the 80mm, whose depth of field wide open was tiny.&nbsp; No =
doubt due=20
in some measure to the fact that it's naturally going to be deeper wide =
open and=20
more forgiving to error with an f2.8 than an f1.4 lens, but when =
critically,=20
carefully focused, the 100mm gives me more satisfying images.&nbsp; If =
you're=20
looking for just a little longer, the 100mm is worth a try.&nbsp; Fun to =
use,=20
wonderful images, great macro capacity, which at this length, let's you =
stay=20
back a little from critters, often not disturbing them, when a shorter =
length=20
would require moving the lens closer for the same subject size on =
film.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoy the light.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>