Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Getting Close and Discreet
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 10:03:38 PDT

This topic always seems to provide for an interesting discussion.  Of
course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and abides by their
own set of ethics.

Personally, I belong to the school of honesty and respect for other's
privacy.  Here's my method:

I've made a sort of small "people" portfolio in the form of a swatch.  I
just printed up some of my favorite "people" shots on 3x5 RC Paper.  I
then punch a hole in the upper-left corner of each print, and reinforce
the hole.  Then, I connect all the prints with a small key ring.  In the
portfolio, all of the bases are covered(children, women, men, people
with pets, upscale people, downscale people, more women, and even a self
portrait) and the photos show each subject in a "favorable light."  This
fits easily in any pocket.  When the subject approaches, I initiate a
conersation, tell them my intent, and show them the swatch ring.  The
idea here, for me, is to A) Make people aware that I am not some crazy
stalker/introduce myself in a more professional manner, B) Show people
how wonderful they can look while relaxed and natural, and C) Make
myself feel relaxed and focused while shooting(more interaction with
them).

I find that this works well in most situations.  Of course, there will
always be those shots that you don't have time to "play show and tell."
In those cases, I take the photo, walk up to the subject, and ask if I
may use the image.  If they say yes, the model release forms come out.
If they say no(it happens), I ask for their address so that I may mail
the negative to them, or if they refuse to give up their address, I give
them mine and tell them that they can pick it up.  I've never had a
person demand the negative, and likewise, other than a contact print,
I've never printed a subject who has requested that I not use the image.

The intent in this post was not to blatently let everyone know how
"ethical" one *should* be.  Rather it was to hopefully give others some
ideas about avoiding those uncomfortable arguements on the street.  I am
a believer in Karma.  Personally, I think the minute I start printing
people who did not wish to be photographed, and taking those "in the
coat, off the hip" sneaky shots, I'll start getting punched in the
chops.  It all comes around full circle.

Thanks for listening,
Paul