Subject: Re: [Leica] loose old caps
From: "4season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 00:03:40 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Nauta <summarex@hotmail.com>
>   Has anyone devised a clever way to revitalize those older front lens
>caps with the cloth grippers?

Taking a cue from current Leica production (50/2.8-M), why not try some sort
of toothed rubber lining? This works very well, and does not tend to mat
down as cloth does. You might be able to find suitable materials in a
toothed VCR belt or some other thin material. My cap, unfortunately, is
somewhere in the Platte River as we speak, and Jones Drug has been keeping
me waiting for a number of weeks for it's replacement. I'm using an older,
slip-on plastic cap in the meantime, and it's a junk design, as it made no
provisions to accomodate the inevitable loosening due to wear, unless
sticking on layers of tape counts as good design.

Jeff