Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan and VueScan 1.4 imaging software
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:42:07 -0400

I followed with considerable interest the discussion a week or so ago
regarding the merit of SilverFast's image scanning software for the Nikon
LS 30/2000.  I've not had very great success in scanning Tri-X with the
Nikon scan package and, until I read the comments of actual users, was
prepared to plump for the SilverFast.  I'd used the demo program, which
seemed to offer a substantial margin of improvement in scanning b&w
emulsions.  I decided against it.

I picked up a reference to Hamrick's VueScan 1.4 in one of the
nerwsgroups.  He's written a new set of drivers for the Nikon and offers a
demo on his website (http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html).  I've used it for a
day or so, have been very impressed by its capabilities, and decided that
for the whopping sum of $40 US, I'm not going to kvetch about a somewhat
clumsy interface with PhotoShop, though I'm not certain that I've figured
out whether this is some fault of my configuration.

In the event, I've done some amazing things with a couple TriX negs I shot
in Italy over twenty years ago.  The combination of the Nikon LS 2000,
VueScan, PhotoShop and a PhotoStylus 700 is now producing b&w stuff that I
don't believe I could achieve with 35mm negs in a chemical darkroom: ever.

I highly recommend VueScan on the basis of its b&w performance.  I've been
having so much fun that I haven't yet scanned a transparency with it.

As always, these images will find their way to my website.

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown