Subject: Re: [Leica] Heliar 4,5/15mm versus Super-Elmar-R 3,5/15mm
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:54:40 EDT

Lucien,
 I have been shooting with the Heliar for close to two month now. At the
moment I am trying to process the last 40-45 rolls from Europe and judging
from the first 40 rolls done and checked with a 30x loupe on the light table
- - it is a very good lens, and as for price/performance it is truly
outstanding. There is a noticeable vignetting at f 4,5, but that is more a
function of the extreme wide-angle than anything else (I checked this with
Leica's top lens man - he just stated "You can't make a 15mm with incurring
some vignetting". On
 the Heliar it is noticeable at 4,5 and at 5,6, but is reduced by the time
you reach f 8. Contrast is remarkably high, most of my shooting has been with
black/white, although I did shoot some interiors in Italy with color neg.
Color (as far as I can judge from color neg - not a good base to judge from)
is slightly warm and a couple of other users have said if there is a color
cast, it is slightly yellow. The problem is of course that you can't mount
filters on the lens so corrections at "camera-level" would be difficult.
 Ten rolls where shot with slow, 32 ASA, black/white and they look very sharp
and tight. One of the endearing features of the lens is the lightweight as
well as the superb finder. I don't miss the brightlines in it - to
accommodate these, the finder would have to be made considerably larger and
bulkier. It could use a spirit level though - not holding the camera
absolutely level is punished by some rather distorted buildings and probably
could induce seasickness at a slideshow!
Today I was carrying around the Heliar 15/4,5 with its finder on a Leica MDa
and my latest acquisition, the Hexar 60/1,2 on my M6 TTL HM. The Hexar is BIG
and the Heliar feels like toy - which it most definitely isn't. What struck
me with these two lenses, apart from being very well designed is that the
Japanese have created finders for both of these lenses that puts Leica to
shame. The Heliar finder and the Hexanon finder are both extremely bright
with an almost "brighter than reality" quality to them.
 The Heliar is a lightweight lens and I assume that the focussing helicoil
probably will not last as long as the old 50 DR Summicron steel and brass
one, but considering its price, it is a bargain and certainly no slouch in
performance.
 I haven't had a chance to process anything from the 60/1,2 yet, but I will
let you now as soon as I get something.
All the best,
Tom A