Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:07:12 +1000

I posted a similar message to LUG a month or so ago and have been discussing
the matter with Gary Colby who has had a similar problem.

Interestingly, the serial number of my M6 is 24329xx - very close to the
serial number you identified as the problem.

I am still in the process of testing the camera (delayed somewhat by other
time pressures).

My problem is precisely the same - no scratches on films from other cameras
with the film handled and processed under the same conditions; and scratches
showing up on a scan and if you angle the film to the light, but not on a
loupe.  I've theorised that this might mean that the scratches are dug
directly down into the film - i.e perpendicular to the film base.

The scratches on my film are not in one consistent place on the film.

While it has been suggested that the problem could be dust or grit in the
camera or film canister, I am confident that this is not the problem.
Otherwise, it would show up on my film taken at the same time with my Nikon.

In short, Gary and I have tried 3 things between us to solve the problem:

1.  Both of us have tried slowing the winding back of the film and
preventing the the film winder from spinning back uncontrolled, when the
film winder is released at the end of rewinding the film;

2.  Gary has swapped camera backs between his 2 M6s, which seems to have
solved the problem;

3.  The camera store at which I bought the camera has suggested that both M
and R bodies scratch film if the film is loaded with the tongue of the film
poking through the spindle (i.e the spindle onto which the film is wound)
and protruding out through the other side of the spindle.  I am in the
process of trying this to see if it works.  If it doesn't work, then I'm
going to try and get the M6 swapped (which might be difficult) or repaired
under warranty.

I haven't been encouraged by the M6 manual suggesting that loading the film
with the tongue protruding is fine.  Does anybody know if 3 is correct?

Gary has also discovered that some negative sleeves seem to leave fine
scratches on film.

Finally, some people have suggested that these scratches don't show up on
darkroom prints.  I haven't tested this yet.

Regards
Gareth Jolly