Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:00:15 +0200

This is one of the most interesting threads on this list.  But is the
problem with the camera or the scanner?  I would assume that *every* camera
pressure plate or winding mechanism leaves its stamp on a roll of film,
albeit microscopically, much like a rifle barrel carves its mark on a bullet
or a typewriter key uniquely strikes a page.  In fact, I would guess that
the FBI Crime Lab could identify the camera a roll of film came from if they
had to.

But if nothing can see the scratches except a scanner, then maybe they're
scanning in too much "noise."   There should be a "Dolby" scratch filter for
these things.

LUGbutts, make sure you're sitting down for this:  Our wives and girlfriends
(and the male equivalents for the LUGladies) are literally *crawling*, yes
*crawling*, with billions of tiny micro-organisms.  Did you know that?  Just
think of that the next time romance strikes!  (And I'm sure the sharpness
gang is at work this very minute on the lenses of the future that will pick
out each one of these critters ;-) )  I don't know about youse guys (South
Philadelphia talk) but I'd just as soon filter that stuff out.

Seriously, though, would those M6s had been considered defective prior to
the advent of the computer scanner (which they seem to predate)?  I doubt
it.  Should they be considered defective now...?

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw