Subject: Re: [Leica] Anybody used a 180 Summicron?
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:07:49 -0400

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> I just purchased a Leica 180 APO Summicron for use in my sports
> photography.  Has anybody had any experience with this lens?  It is the
> version prior to the ROM and I got it at a price that allowed me to
> rationalize the purchase.  It is being shipped and I should get it next
> week sometime.  I assume that it is probably about the size of the 280 2.8,
> but have not seen one except in pictures.
>
> I like shooting slide film and fast slide film is not that great, so the
> only other option is to have fast lenses and slower slide film for indoor
> sports.  I figure that this lens with a 1.4 APO extended is a 250 2.8,
> which is probably pretty good where I might use a 280 2.8.  Anybody use
> this lens?

Robert,

I have one and have used it a great deal in the last 1.5 years, often in
combination with the 2x Apo converter. FWIW, Colorfoto (german magazine
with an alleged bias toward Leica) says that the 180 Summicron is the
highest performing lens they've ever tested, period. I've no reason to
disagree with them. No lens is perfect, but this one's built like
granite, is stunning wide open, and I once read (don't remember where)
that it's best aperture is 2.8. Excellent results with the converter.

Autofocus is a natural ally of sports photographers. The lens' lack of
DOF wide open (blame the laws of optics, not Leica) and lack of
autofocus outweighs the optical performance advantage this lens carries
for most "action" photography.

Aside from the weight, however, you cannot make a mistake acquiring this
lens. Buy an equally good tripod.

:-)

David W. Almy
Annapolis