Subject: Re: [Leica] Cops run amok
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:12:39 -0700

Eric,

You certainly can argue that you have a First Amendment right to exhibit a
picture that you didn't take. I just don't think that the free speech
guarantee applies to taking a picture - much as I would like to see it
apply.

I know all about prior restraints - they don't apply to the taking of a
photograph by a private individual.

As to the Fourth Amendment - remember that it does not forbid searches by
the government. It forbids "unreasonable" searches. Searches with warrants
are presumed reasonable, but there are circumstances in which warrantless
searches are also deemed reasonable. And, as evidenced by the U.S. Supreme
Court this past week, the grounds for reasonable warrantless searches are
expanding.

Note that I'm not happy with the current state of the law - I'm a criminal
defense attorney <g>, and I fight these battles every day.

Bryan