Subject: [Leica] Exploding cameras!
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:44:16 -0200

At 08:29 AM 10/04/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I've worked as an electronics technician for years, at least
>as a second job.....it's POSSIBLE that a flash unit (actually
>the camera sync) could start a fire in an explosive environment...
>in this case, I don't know whether flash was being used...if not,
>then there's no problem....if it was, then the person probably should
>have held off, or removed the flash.....
>
>However, did the cop use his lights/radio????....being extremely
>familiar with commercial radios, I'll tell you that most cities
>don't buy "explosion-proof" radios...as do the military and
>some chemical companies....they buy off-the-shelf,

        I went through this with working on offshore oil rigs. They were
REALLY nuts over the flash units... while, as engineers, they did admit that
the odds were small that a xenon strobe would cause problems.  Spark at the
contact points were their big worry. When I HAVE to shoot with strobes we
have extra gas detectors and had to turn off the infared smoke/light sensors.

We came to an agreement. (much to the relief of all) I would only use
mechanical cameras and no flash.
...and guess which cameras and lenses are PERFECT for this working environment?

See Pascal, there is ALWAYS a Leica angle...

cheers,
Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@picturedesk.org
St. John's, Newfoundland             http://www.straylight.ca/locke
- --------------------- PictureDesk International -------------------