Subject: [Leica] The LUG is great!
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:18:45 +0200

- ------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE837E.923027E0

Two weeks ago, I told you about the Swedish mini-LUG meet, where I saw the
Ricoh 28/2,8 on Tuulikki Abrahamsson's M4-P. I liked the looks of this lens,
and told it to the LUG. After two days, Hong Kong LUGer Joseph Yao mailed
me, telling me that he had seen a used sample in a Hong Kong shop, and
offered to buy it for me!
I said Yes! and within a week I had the lens in my hands. I have just
developed the first roll of pictures made by it.

I think this lens is definitely better than the second generation Elmar 28
that I used earlier, it is sharper and has more contrast on the larger
F/stops. I am very pleased with the Ricoh and it is better than I expected
it to be wide open. Some time ago Tom Abrahamsson wrote that "this lens
gives 90% of Leica optical quality at 50% of the price", and that is no
understatement. Other advantages is that the lens is as compact as the
M-Rokkor 28, but much more solidly built. Finish and mechanical quality is
100%! It would be interesting to put in on Erwin's test bench for a more
scientific comparison with the current M-Elmar 28. I suspect that these two
lenses are very close in performance.

The world is indeed getting smaller with Internet and the LUG. The Ricoh is
an extremely rare lens here in Scandinavia, and I think it is amazing that I
was able to find a sample on the used market in Hong Kong. It would not have
been possible without the LUG society, that is for sure!

Regards to all LUGers!
Hans

- ------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE837E.923027E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Two weeks ago, I told you about the Swedish mini-LUG =
meet,=20
where I saw the Ricoh 28/2,8 on Tuulikki Abrahamsson's M4-P. I liked the =
looks=20
of this lens, and told it to the LUG. After two days, Hong Kong LUGer =
Joseph Yao=20
mailed me, telling me that he had seen a used sample in a Hong Kong =
shop, and=20
offered to buy it for me!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I said Yes! and within a week I had the lens in my =
hands. I=20
have just developed the first roll of pictures made by it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I think this lens is definitely better than the =
second=20
generation Elmar 28 that I used earlier, it is sharper and has more =
contrast on=20
the larger F/stops. I am very pleased with the Ricoh and it is better =
than I=20
expected it to be wide open. Some time ago Tom Abrahamsson wrote that =
&quot;this=20
lens gives 90% of Leica optical quality at 50% of the price&quot;, and =
that is=20
no understatement. Other advantages is that the lens is as compact as =
the=20
M-Rokkor 28, but much more solidly built. Finish and mechanical quality =
is 100%!=20
It would be interesting to put in on Erwin's test bench for a more =
scientific=20
comparison with the current M-Elmar 28. I suspect that these two lenses =
are very=20
close in performance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The world is indeed getting smaller =
with=20
Internet and the LUG. The Ricoh is an extremely rare lens here in =
Scandinavia,=20
and I think it is amazing that I was able to find a sample on the used =
market in=20
Hong Kong. It would not have been possible without the LUG society, that =
is for=20
sure!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Regards to all LUGers!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hans</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BE837E.923027E0--