Subject: Re: [Leica] flash
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 07:41:53 -0500

At 10:35 PM 4/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>BTW, a co-worker at the Orange County Register here is in the final
>three for winning the feature Pulitzer, to be announced on Monday (Eric
>I see in News Photographer that you helped judge the story--and bumped
>out mine, you bastard). He's Dan Anderson, and bought an M6 to work on
>that story for the reasons we all know so well. I've seen the
>competition and I think he's got a real good chance to win it.

Sorry about that, Dave. :-)

Dan Anderson's work has always been outstanding. He's tough competition to
beat for sure. Though his early stuff seemed to be more oriented towards
fashion and illustration rather than news. He could have made a lot more
money as a commercial photographer. At least when I was logging his POY
entries in for POY back in '86 and '87, Was great to see such a powerful
photo essay that really gets to the heart of what this job is about.

I wondered if he was using a Leica for that assignment. The light was so
bad, can't imagine using anything else.

Pulitzer's are going to be announced Monday? Oh boy, we have an entry in
too. Though nobody has told us we're finalists, so I guess that means we've
lost already. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch