Subject: Re: [Leica] How could the R8 be bettered?
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:37:28 +0000

Pascal wrote:

>- the film counter on the backside LCD display is not "live". It does not
>show the counter when the camera is not switched on and the metering
>activated. There must be a better way of doing this. It is a very
>unpractical and a waste of energy if one has to activate the metering just
>to check the counter. The new Nikon F100 has this feature.

I agree with you on this Pascal.  I love my R8 but the film counter design
is ridiculous.  Not only do you have to turn the meter on for it to work at
all, but the shutter has to be cocked for the indicator to stay on for a few
seconds.  Every photographer has to know how much film is left in the
camera.  The R8 makes this more difficult than it need be.

Second, the double exposure switch is too easy to move.  I have flipped it
into position accidentally several times and taken unwanted double
exposures.

Third, when using a Metz flash, I would prefer that the shutter speed not be
locked at 1/250th when the R8 is in aperture priority mode.

Other than these things, I absolutely love the R8.  I hate to admit it, but
I've owned the EOS-1n, the F5, and the R8 and the R8 is the one I kept.  All
are great picture taking machines with unique strengths, but I find the R8
to be the most satisfying to use.  It feels great and is designed to let me
be in control.

John McLeod