Subject: Re: [Leica] London travel report (long)
From: Martin Howard <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:23:38 +0200

Christer Almqvist wrote:

>  Otherwise mostly brilliant sunshine.
> >
> >  Film was Tri-X and HP-5.
> >
> ... two questions: (1) did you rate the films at 50 or 100,

I rated the film at EI 320, and used an incident meter to measure open
shadow.  I base exposure on that, then underdevelop.  I think I will be
using EI 200 for HP-5 in the future, for a little more shadow detail:
I've been rating it at EI 250 and having the incident dome half in
shadow, half in sunlight.  Works, but a bit too little shadow detail in
the negs.  It got exposed at EI 320 in London because I forgot to reset
the lightmeter between the Tri-X and the HP-5.  Lesson: Stick to one
film
;-)

>and  (2) what film do you use when there is no brilliant sunshine,
> a kind of weather I remember from my early days in Sweden :+)

Basically, I use HP-5 for almost everything.  The shop in Stockholm I
was in when I needed film before leaving didn't have Ilford, so I bought
the Tri-X instead (since I know how it behaves).

I'm going to try Fujipan 1600 at EI 800 for interior stuff and see how
that faires in XTOL at 70% of the recommended time.  And for this
summer,
I'm going to try Delta 100 @ EI 50 or EI 80 with yellow filter for
some more sky detail.

> One more Q: did the guy who sold you that lens recently give you the
> films for free with the lens?

OK, I have no clue what you're on about here... ;-)

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------