Subject: [Leica] Scratches - Another View
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:25:25 -0700

I too have had problems with scratches with my M6, but I solved it.

My M6 is one of the first made after the Leitz name changed to Leica on the front red button, but before the LED's blinked.  In other words, around 10 years old.

Same description; longitudinal scratches, on the backing side, showing up when I started to scan (HP Photosmart.

I blew out the camera, using a good part of the can of air.

Then I resolved to rewind film SLOWLY.

That solved the scratching problem.  My belief is that the pressure plate distance to the film is so small, that a speck of dust that would go right by in another brand camera gets stuck and scratches the film.

Another solution:  buy an LS-2000 and let the Nikon scanner take the scratches out of the image!

Bob