Subject: [Leica] M-6 Scratches on Pressure Plate
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:41:55 EDT

Is the problem with scratches on the pressure plate a wide spread problem or
has it been noticed by only a few?  I am picky when it comes to photo
equipment and had not noticed the scratches my M-6 pressure plate put on the
film.  However, I had run only one or two rolls through it, had the film
processed and it was returned in a single length with the idea of making
color prints from the Kodachrome 25.  I had been lazy and just cut it into
strips of 6 negatives and slipped them into the negafiles.

LUG alerted me to the potential problem and upon checking the M-6 negatives,
the film scratches were very pronounced.

I wonder how many M-6 users have not examined their film to determine if the
pressure plate is causing a problem.

This afternoon Leica USA advised the cost of a new plate is $38.00 and the
cost for polishing the pressure plate in the camera would be in the two
figure range but the price has not been set so far and the wait is about
three weeks.

If anyone has an idea how many problem M-6 pressure plates there are, it
would be helpful to know.