Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 06:39:46 +0000

Friends

There seems to be a lot of dread with new x-ray machines and frustrations
resulting from a lack of hand inspection at most airports.

Except for sporadic complains about films being ruined through such
undiplomatic channels, I am of the impression that most xray machines for
screening passenger hand luggages are safe.  The ones that scan checked
luggages prior to being loaded into the plane are probably much more
powerful as they do not have the option of getting the passenger to open
the bag for visual inspection.  I make it a point to always carry my films
with me into the cabin.

Personally, I welcome the security.  Explosive devices can be ingeniously
hidden in all sorts of manner and the film canister may well be one of
them. 40 years ago, nobody even checked your luggage when you travelled
because there were no people who go around killing people by blowing them
to bits in airplanes.  Terrorists and maniacs are looking for all sorts of
loopholes to get these devices on board aircrafts and any airport which is
"kind enough" to hand inspect luggages constitutes a weak link in the whole
chain of security.  I happily let them scan all my films and has been doing
so for years. I do not ask for a hand inspection and I do not argue with
them.  I prefer to feel safe during the flight and enjoy my trip.

3200 film?  How many airline passengers carry 3200 film?  Those rare breeds
who carry 3200 film and expect to be given special treatment just because
they have such fast films with them will just have to face possibility of
refusal.  Who knows if you are  actually a leica toting terrorist dressed
in a snazzy coat and tie?  I find 400 film more than fast enough. That's
why I am using leicas with big f-stops and shoot wide open handholding at
1/4 sec if needed.  Sharp pics too! To date, I have personally not
encountered a single roll of film being ruined in any manner due to airport
security xrays.

Dan K.