Subject: [Leica] 75'lux focusing
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:46:58 -0700

With respect to M and R composition. As someone who uses both systems, I do
think there is a way in which my style of composing changes somewhat
depending on which system I'm using. With an M in my hands I usually remain
more aware of the broader context within which I'm framing shots. When I'm
photographing people, I feel a bit closer to them using the M and more a
part of (less removed from) their (and my) surrounding environment. My M
photos tend to show more balance between person and immediate environment.
Since I only use 90mm or shorter lenses on the M, the surrounding
environment is also more likely to remain in acceptable focus.

I don't associate any compositional shift with focusing per se but with the
way in which an SLR removes me somewhat more from the broader context of the
shot -- a characteristic that makes macro and telephoto shooting much easier
with an SLR and most "in situ" portrait work easier with an M.

Gib