Subject: Re: [Leica] QC
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:39:46 -0400

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> If Leica knows about the problems as your post suggests, why hasn't Leica
> issued a recall notice and offered to resolve and repair the problem M-6
> pressure plate problem?  Have you taken that question to Leica?  If you have,
> it would be helpful to all if the Leica response were posted.

I have bought 3 M6s, none of which have had problems of any kind. I have
taken thousands of pictures with these cameras, none of which have been
scratched by a pressure plate. The quality of these photographs has been
erratic, but I have always attributed this to the marginal skills of the
photographer.

Three cameras do not make a scientifically representative sample from
which to draw reliability conclusions. Likewise, anecdotal reports of
pressure plate scratching do not indicate a widespread, chronic problem
with quality control. You need better data to draw this conclusion.

> I do not believe it is being hypercritical to suggest the M-6 camera pressure
> plates should not scratch the film.  That is just plain old basic stuff.

Of course, under no circumstances should a pressure plate ever scratch
film. There is no excuse for this malfunction and if it is due to a
manufacturing defect, Leica should admit it, apologize, issue a recall
and fix the problem immediately.

What I object to is summary judgment resulting from the assumption of
guilt. Reasonable people need good data to conclude that a widespread,
chronic problem exists. Survey away, but it is premature, at this point,
to reach this conclusion.

And having received perhaps 90,000+ Lug messages over the last three
years, why is this only the first time we have addressed the scratching
pressure plate epidemic?

David W. Almy
Annapolis