Subject: Re: [Leica] cheap macro work
From: "Bill Christensen" <billc@xsite.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:06:12 -0500

Mike,

You will be amazed at the possibilities for close-up work.  But be
forewarned, it can be addicting.

The macro-adapter may be the best way to go provided that the 30mm extension
will provide the desired magnification.  Some people carry a couple of
extension tubes to have more magnification options.   The beauty of
extension tubes is that they can be used with different lenses such as the
180, 280, 400 etc. to view a rather small area at a considerable distance.
The down side is that you will lose about a half stop for each 30 mm tube.

Elpros offer another alternative but are pretty much limited to lenses of
the same filter size.  Again, several elpros may be needed for magnifcation
flexibility.

For more info, many books present detailed descriptions regarding the pros
and cons of supplementary lenses (elpros) vs. extension tubes
(macro-adgaper-R).

After using tubes for years, I finally bit the bullet and picked up the 100
APO and its special elpro.  It is an amazing combination.  If the close-up
bug affects you, you may ultimately succumb to the temptation.

Good luck!

Bill Christensen