Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:00:23 -0500

At 06:47 AM 4/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>As for your statement about Leica deliberately dropping the quality of its
>lenses
>in the 60s, do you have any documentation for this?

Nathan,

He couldn't possibly have documentation for that. First of all, it's not
true. Second, it's based on the notion that Leica designed lenses that
didn't have as high as resolution as possible so they could pump up the
contrast. Leica did state in the Leica Photography that introduced the
Noctilux f/1 back in the 70s that they designed the lens with 400 ISO speed
film in mind, so they didn't design the resolution quite as high as other
lenses that were designed with slower films in mind so that they could
increase the contrast. That's a whole lot different than "designing lenses
down" as this person implies.

Now from what I've heard, this article was probably an oversimplification
of what they did. Because for one thing, the Noctilux isn't know for being
very high contrast as it is. But there used to be arguments about lens
design back in the 50s and 60s as I remember reading that claimed that
balancing resolution and contrast was how designers met different design
targets for particular lenses. But such a nonsense statement as what you
are reacting to is pure bunk. Didn't happen. Leica would never do such a
thing. Leica's customers wanted the best possible quality they could get.
Some pretty outstanding lenses came out in the 60s, another evidence for
that argument being incorrect.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.