Subject: Re: [Leica] Best 50 mm LTM lens?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:44:22 -0400

Hans-
Recently I took a batch of 50mm/5cm lenses to the backyard, tacked a
resolution target to the neighbor's fence and tested the Summar, Summitar,
Summicron, Elmar, Summarit and a Nikkor 50/1,4... all performed well at the
various stops, and I was told to reshoot with a subject in the middle ground
and then examine the foreground and background renditions ( Bokeh?). All the
lenses are servicable, but you have to decide how you want the 'out of
focus' areas to be rendered.
I like the Elmar because if folds up and makes the III a literally
pocketable camera. The Summicron, even the old one will beat many modern
lenses hands down for sharpness and contrast. It's like wine- do you prefer
a nice stout Merlot, or a robust Beujoulais, a dry Chianti or a Bourdeaux?
It is a matter of taste, and you really should experience as many lenses as
possible. Having said that, if the Elmar comes with the III, don't be
ashamed to use it! If it is uncoated, I would definitely suggest a shade!
The Summar I have is uncoated, and while it is a nice lens, a shade does
help a lot to cut flare, even from indirect light hitting the lens!
Dan