Subject: Re: [Leica] M2 Viewfinder black?
From: Jay LeBlanc <jaleblan@dakotacom.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:54:05 -0500

At 01:16 AM 4/20/99 +-200, you wrote:
>I have been offered a used M2 with defective viewfinder in otherwise
>good condition. When looking through the viewfinder, the whole field
>is black, with only the rangefinder window being transparent, and the
>framelines being bright.
>what is the reason for this? Is this condition repairable?
The viewfinder relies on a beam splitter to couple the range finder into
view, and it has separated.  It may well be an expensive repair.  My M2
suffered a similar fate about 1980 and the repair ran $250 or so, but I
think the entire prism assembly was replaced at that time.  It's possible
that it might be re-cemented at lower cost.  -Jay-

Visit my website at: <http://www.dakotacom.net/~jaleblan/index.html>