Subject: [Leica] Re: ways to improve bw computer prints
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:06:52 +0200

Joe,

I too scan in RGB and do all the work in Photoshop in RGB. I actually never
convert the image to any other mode. If the print has a cast I do not like, I
just correct it in Photoshop.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to compare a B&W print of one of my negatives,
done by a professional B&W lab with one of my Epson Photo prints. The reason I
had the lab print the negative is that I needed a big print (30x40cm) and my
Epson only does A4 (plus, this is a present for someone and I wanted to make sure
it lasts). Looking at the big print from the lab and my own A4 print from the
image, I have to say that the scanner/inkjet/Photoshop combination certainly
provides photo-quality results. Of course I do not know what an inkjet print of
30x40 would look like but I suspect it would be no worse than the lab print. The
other thing this lab print shows me is the quality of the 35mm Summicron ASPH
that I used to take the picture. It is one of the shots on my Belgian markets web
page (the one with the three angels lying on a table). The rendition of the
detail in the big print, the raindrops on the table--all fantastic.

Nathan

Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> I don't know what scanner is being used here, but if you scan a B&W image
> as greyscale then you lose data at the scanning stage that cannot be
> recaptured by converting later on to RGB. What I do, using a LS2000, is to
> scan the negative in RGB (millions of colours rather than 255 levels of
> grey) at the highest resolution and keep the image as RGB for any
> adjustment in Photoshop before converting to greyscale as the last thing I
> do, if I do that at all (I usually don't). Doing it this way round I have
> to deal with large file sizes but I get extremely good b&w prints from an
> Epson Photo 700 on Epson Photo paper. If the file that I'm printing is
> still RGB and I want a black and white print rather than a brown one, I
> simply tell the printer immediately before printing to print in black
> rather than in colour. Quality is apparently not affected by doing this. I
> like to see my friends' jaws drop when I hand them a computer print that is
> better than most conventional prints they have seen...
>
> Joe Berenbaum

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium