Subject: Re: [Leica] compact camera.....point and shoot.....recommendations?
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:22:43 +0000

>    For an experienced Leica user who wants a P/S with  high quality
>glass, what do you all recommend?&nbsp; Konica Hexar with  35/2 lens,
>Leica Minilux  with 40/2.4 lens, or Contax G2 with 45/2 lens?&nbsp; Which
>will  provide the best image quality for slides, and which offers the most
>user control, like an M6?  Francesco

The Hexar is too large,  the Minilux finder too small, and the Contax too
expensive in my opinion. They were all on my shortlist once, but I settled
for the Ricoh GR1.

The Ricoh GR1 has the advantage over most other p&s cameras that you can
turn off the flash with a real switch - which leaves it off indefinitely
until YOU want it on- while with many other p&s cameras you have to push
tiny little rubber buttons to turn off the flash and you have to redo this
every time you turn on the camera. Also the GR1 has one of the best lenses
around (aspherical!). The same lens is also sold with Leica thread mount,
but then costs twice  the price of the GR1. It is not a zoom. You can
preset distances (factory set at 2 metes, but you can preset any distance
you like) for real quick shooting, a feature you may want as a Leica user
as it avoids having to wait for the camera to focus for you.

Disadvantage: the camera on-off button is rubbery and at times activates
the camera if you carry it in your pocket and that of course moves the lens
out of the camera body which is not a good idea if the pocket is tight or
if you have your keys in it. I have made a little flap to cover the button
and have no problems with this.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58