Subject: Re: [Leica]Get the screw mount!point and shoot.recommendations?
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:55:38 PDT

Nathan, don't be shy about guessing the exposure!  Believe it or not
the little cartoon guides in the film boxes are pretty damn close in
99% of shots!

I nearly always shoot 100 speed film, so I have gotten used to
estimating speeds for that ASA.

In sunshine f8 at 500th
In shade on a sunny day F4 at 125th
Indoors f3.5 at 30th. (this is the hardest to guess, it could be a lot
less.
On a cloudy day I usually try for f4 at 60th-125th.

If you like faster or slower film just add or subtract the amount of
stops to fit your preferences.

Of couse this is valid for print film primarily, where exposure
latitude, over exposure in particular is very great. (over 2 stops on
most film.)

Don't let the lack of a light meter keep you from buying a screw mount
camera.  They are wonderful "people" cameras, and still a reasonable
bargin compared to the M's.

Good Luck,  Dan

>Horst,
>
>I have a Ricoh GR1 for this purpose and I am very happy with it. But
>do not like autofocus that much after having gotten used to the
superb
>rangefinder focus of my Ms. Last week I fondled (this is the proper
>word!) a screw-mount Leica (IIIf, I think) and also thought it would
>make a superb pocket camera with a collapsible lens. The only
>problem...no light meter. And if I have to carry an external meter
with
>me, then this defeats the whole purpose. What do you do? Are you so
>experienced that you simply guesstimate the exposure?
>
>Nathan
>
>A.H.SCHMIDT wrote:
>
>>  Why don't you try a Leica IIIc Screw mount camera with a
collapsible
>> Elmar 3.5 or Summitar f2 lens. This combination makes for a very
>> compact system with all the advantages a Leica brings. You can pick
it
>> up for quite a reasonable sum. it will fit in to most pockets. If
you
>> get a slightly worn model, don't bother about a leather case, just
use
>> it like it is. The IIIc is extremely rugged and reliable. I have a
>> 1949 shark skin model. it never let me down.
>>
>> Horst Schmidt
>>

>> Francesco wrote:
>>
>>>   For an experienced Leica user who wants a P/S with high quality
>>> glass,what do you all recommend?  Konica Hexar with 35/2 lens,
Leica

http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator/index.html