Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica users! long
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:14:34 -0700

Giorgio Ferrari wrote:
Dear Mr. Jon,
welcome in this world of fools, lost in Leica products, citizens of
Solms and so on.....
I'm on your side, Leica is not a god, like most of us are thinking;
probably it's only one of the best cameras, like Contax, Nikon and others.
But most of us are collectors, maybe lovers of mechanical products,
....but photographers?

Bye,

Giorgio
Like myself, many of us are photographers, but the statistics are in
favor of your statement.
And there are more collectors on this group than photographers from what
I have seen, but not by much.
Most of us are "serious" photographers a vague term that could mean
people who take pictures with cameras that cost a whole lot more that a
students camera which would be of some serious use.
But instead of endlessly redefining "professional" it's the "serious"
photographers who often do the best work for the best reasons and that
goes all the way back to the dogma of Stigletz. (woof)
The flip side of that coin are the dilettantes who play with money
buying and selling camera jewelry and occasionally have an 8 by 10 made.
Poseurs, they are here in force of course of course.
I'm hard core here in that for me Leica is more than a better camera, it
is a refinement of a great mechanical tradition. For me both the Leica
M's and LTM have soul as the pictures they make. Other brands seldom do.
Much older Contax and Nikon as you mention had that soul. More recently
traded in for wizbang.
The newest Leica M6 TLR flash metering are still for me wizbang free.
Mark Rabiner