Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 vs. 35
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:09:30 +0000

>Carlos,
>    I think this is exactly what we are here for.  There are no stupid
questions.

>Since $$ is an issue, I recommend a used 35mm Summicron, non-ASPH version.
 Read Erwin Puts' review and you will see this is a good buy.  I guarantee
you will be happy.

Based on my experience with the non-asph 35/1.4, I have found that all
apertures are useable BUT not all apertures perform the same way.  Pics
taken at f1.4 to f2.0 show obvious vignetting, low contrast and an
ethereal-like softness.  Stopped down to f2.8 and beyond, these
characteristics disappear and the lens becomes more like any 35/2 summicron
at the same aperture.

So unless you need the f1.4 and are willing to accept the results at that
aperture, it might be better to buy the 35/2.  I have found that even at
f2.0, the summicron is a better performer than the summilux.

Dan K.