Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm or 24mm?
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:45:48 EDT

Austin, I have both of the current generation of these lenses.  I also have
the Canon EOS 20 mm that you refer to.  At 8 x 10, I cannot see a difference
in quality between the Canon and the Leica lenses.  However, at larger sizes,
there is a fine difference in quality.

As for the choice between the 21 and 24, I can recommend either one very
highly.  I cannot see a quality difference in the photos taken with the two
lenses.  They are both excellent.  I find that the 21 is even better than the
outstanding Zeiss Contax 21mm lens for the G system or the Zeiss Contax 21
for the SLR system.

In terms of overall quality I would rate the Canon lowest, the Zeiss lenses
in the middle and the Leica lens as the best.  I note, however, that the
differences are very small.  All of these are excellent lenses.

There is a significant difference between 21 and 24 in terms of the
perspective.  Either one is very useful.  The 21 provides a more noticeable
perspective difference than the 24.  If you want to have dramatic
perspective, I suggest the 21.  The 24 looks more normal.  My recommendation
is that if you do not have a 35 or a 28, get the 24.  If you have a 28, I
would definitely recommend getting the 21.

There is no bad decision here.  You will enjoy either one.

Tom Shea