Subject: Re: [Leica] Testing & manufacturing techniques at Solms
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:25:08 +0200

At 5:58 pm +0200 23/4/99, Martin Howard wrote:
snip
>However, rather
>than "quality" you should write "consistency".  Nevertheless, there are
>a VAST number of jobs for which computer controlled or robotic equip-
>ment cannot be employed.  These were EXCEEDINGLY expensive lessons
>learned during the 80's by manufacturing industries in several
>countries.
snip

We should probably wish renaissance of MANUFACTURE in the origianl sense of
the word.  True craftmanship appears to be on the edge of extinction mostly
because of excessive personnel costs in many fields.  Leica may not be an
exception.  How are the craftspersons at Solms trained?  Do they have enough
and consistent skill?  I have heard that things are going better in
small-scale manufacturers of mechanical watches in Switzerland.

Mikiro
Strasbourg