Subject: [Leica] Re: Testing & manufacturing techniques at Solms
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:51:20 -0000

Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> wrote:

>OK Doug, you win.

>Leica products are 100% exhaustively tested.

>So now I don't understand why there are so many R8 problems, M6
pressure
plate, shutter, RF alignment problems, and lenses with loose
elements??? So
is this all happening "after" they leave Solms?

Jim,

Now you're asking the question many of us would like to see the answer
to!

And it's a question that only Leica can answer (are you listening,
Solms?)

They seem to have an intensive test process, and to be investing
substantial amounts of time and test equipment in checking equipment
before despatch - but in some folks' experience that testing is not
detecting all faults.

It sounds like those test procedures need to be reviewed - as you
rightly observed, no economical test process can detect 100 per cent
of all problems, but the level of testing which the visitor sees at
Solms should have prevented many of the problems which are being
reported here on the list. This should be a source of concern to the
company.

Regards,

Doug Richardson