Subject: Re: [Leica] date of lens manufacture
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:50:41 EDT

Hi Peter,

I spoke with Jim Lager regarding this serial number issue.  He told me that
the earliest documented serial numbers were in the 90,000 to 95,000 range
dating from late 1931 to early 1932.  As far as serial number 156001 being
the starting number in all the published literature, he feels this was
arbitrarily picked by Laney, Rogliatti, et al.  THe records in the archives
are very hard to read, but Jim does have documentation of earlier serial
numbers from the factory records.  He feels it would require a great deal of
research effort to fully bring to light these earlier serial number records.
Currently, this is almost impossible as the current curator of the Solms
archives, Hendrick Hössel, is ill.  Jim was unable to access the archives
during his recent trip to Solms/Wetzlar.  He also stated that the accepted
serial number records for camera production are rife with errors, even though
everyone accepts these as gospel.
As far as your lens #147980 is concerned, Jim told me production should be in
1933, barring any contradictory evidence from the factory records.

Bill Rosauer