Subject: [Leica] Check on M3, pressure plates and Voigtlander
From: "Gerry Walden" <photos@gerrywalden.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 22:30:16 +0100

I have just had both my M3 and my M6 checked at a free Leica Service clinic
at a local dealers.   The M6 was declared perfect in every way as it should
be because it is virtually new) and the M3 was pretty good - between a
quarter and a half stop slow at 1/60, 1/30 and 1/1000.   It was suggested
that if it got a little more use it would probably be better.   Not bad for
a 42 year old camera!   My MC meter was also tested and declared to be
pretty near accurate as well.

Interesting comments came back during the check.   The English service
department have been faxed by the US service section to advise them of a
potential problem with "one or two" backs scratching film, but the UK people
say that they have had no incidents yet.   They are also well aware of LUG
and try to keep up with it.

I also had the opportunity to look at the R8 and R6.2 again.   I still found
the R8 to be very quiet but too big for my small (and arthritic) hands.
The R6.2 is lovely.   I listened for the whirr on the R8 at 1/250 and could
just a bout hear it.   The camera was fitted with a power winder and was far
quieter than my Canon EOS.

There was also chance to handle the Voigtlander (?Cosina) with the 15mm
lens.   Interesting that it is Leica screw and will fit any of the Leica
cameras.   It has its own separate viewfinder and is said to be high optical
quality (but then they would, wouldn't they?).   At about £300 ($500) I got
the impression that the lens was selling better than the camera!   The
camera and lens is coming out at about £500 and is due in the UK in about 2
weeks.   Nothing outstanding about the camera - except it is strange to
handle a camera with no inbuilt viewfinder!

That's all folks!

Gerry
www.gerrywalden.co.uk