Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pulitzer prize
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 07:23:05 -0500

At 02:41 AM 4/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>    I am not sure that being nominated for a pulitzer, is really a test
>of one's photographic ability.

Most of the time, it isn't. An amateur with a brownie won once. It's the
moment in the Pulitzers that counts. The National Press Photographers'
Pictures of the Year contest category "Photographer of the Year" is
probably the best determiner of the best of the best. Though I think
they've taken a strange turn with favoritism of portfolios that are black
and white. Ignoring the fact that news photographers are required to shoot
color for the most part, and that we can't stand around waiting for the
"good light" if the moment is paramount. But in this case, the moment isn't
like the Pulitzer contest because it had to be a body of work from the
previous year. Anybody can get a great moment once in their life. Twenty in
one year? Not likely.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Computers can never replace human stupidity.