Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Austin, Texas May 3-9, 1999
From: Michael Bell <mbell@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:43:07 -0500

LP6@aol.com writes:
>I'll be visiting Austin, Texas May 3-9.. Might I expect the Bluebonnets to be
>in bloom?  Other wildflowers?

We are getting to the end of the wildflower season.  There should still be
some around, but not like a week or so ago.  Considering how little rain we
got, the wildflowers were better than most anyone would have expected.

>Anyone know of other photographic opportunities I shouldn't miss at the
>time...festivals?

By all means make sure you visit the LBJ Library and Museum on the UT
campus to see the David Douglas Duncan exhibit.    Which reminds me, I
never did report on my visit to the exhibit.  I got sick shortly after I
was there and then got busy after that.

There are a large number of black and white prints, mainly war shots and
exotic places of course.  There are also a number of color prints, mainly
related to Picasso.  There are also some of the Picasso works that the
artist gave to Duncan. And the famous ring that Duncan gave Picasso is
there.  A number of Duncan's cameras are on display including a few thread
mount Leicas, some pre-R series SLRs and some others I've forgotten.  There
is also some Nikon equipment including a special effects lens and a special
edition Nikon gave to Duncan earlier this year.  One display I though was
fascinating was based on the famous picture of the battle fatigued soldier.
Included is the marked contact sheet, work prints, final prints and some of
the publications where the picture appeared.

I'll try to post more information about the exhibit when I get a chance.

The UT campus will be bustling until May 7 when classes end.

If you need any other info for your trip to Austin, please let me know.

regards

Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu