Subject: Re: [Leica] Under pressure, counting the beans on your plate
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:27:38 -0400

At 01:49 PM 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>when was the last time you actually took a picture? :=)
>

>Alistair
>
>f8 and... oops, sorry, pressure plate...and be there

One pressure plate comment, and then silence - promise.

While I certainly understand the "oh grow up and take some pictures"
sentiments of the Teds, Jims, Alistairs, etc., I don't know that the
sentiment helps Leica. For a lot of Leica owner/users, the purchase of this
camera is probably the biggest single disposable income/hobby/pleasure
expenditure of their lives. They come to it after years of waiting and
using "inferior" equipment. They have been won over/sucked in by the Leica
Legend. And part of that Legend is the perfection of the Leica as a
mechanical device, built to tolerances that would do a baby flea
proud...When they then see that this pinnacle of the camera makers art
scratches their film, and the attitude of certain senior aficionados,
friends of Leica, is "well, hell man, it's only 100 cameras" (and, by the
way, if you believe that I have a load of Pinto gas tanks you might be
interested in - if any corporation acknowledges 100 errors, assume it's at
least 1000) and "what do you want, Fritz was sick for a few days," they are
going to get ticked off and upset. If Leica really wants to sell more
cameras, and really wants to sell them to "amateurs" who want to own the
best, then Leica damn well better produce "the best" and jump through hoops
when it fails to.

At least that's the way I see it - as if that mattered to anyone but me and
my dog..:-)

I guess I'll just shut up and go take some PITCHERS..

An awful lot of Leica owners