Subject: [Leica] Scratching problem (solved) and usefulness of the LUG
From: phwl@cse.cuhk.edu.hk
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:23:53 +0800

My 3 week old M6 #24146xx had the film scratching problem. Since I
needed to use it rather urgently, I rang Mr W.K. Tam at Schmidt Hong
Kong (Leica's agency in HK) and explained the problem. He was very
helpful and got the camera back to me in 2 days. He said the problem
was that a spring behind the pressure plate was too strong thus causing
the scratching. Although I haven't taken a roll with the repaired
camera, I have tested it by running a few frames through the camera and
examining the film. It appears fine.  Problems will occur in any
manufactured item. To Leica's credit, I think that they did a very good
job in repairing my camera.

I am also very grateful to the LUG for the many constructive reports
about this problem. I feel that this is one of the beneficial services
of the LUG - it makes people aware of common problems with Leica gear.
Now I know to check for scratching with a roll of film if I purchase a
2nd hand (or new!) camera *before* it damages my precious negatives.

To me, the most useful parts about the LUG are (in no particular order)
* seeing the portfolios of LUGGERS (I'm starting to scan some of my pictures
  to put on my WWW site)
* discussions of how people use their Leicas
* discussions of equipment and accessories, old and new, problems, repairs etc
* discussions of film, darkroom work, scanning etc

Regards,
Philip