Subject: [Leica] How I chose a 24mm lens
From: "Mark E Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:01:40 -0700

Austin (and others),

I chose the 24mm based on my prior experience with an SLR system. On my SLR
system I have 18mm, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm, and find that I use the 24 more
often than the others, both for interiors of houses and nature shots (tree
"portraits" in particular). I find that the 28 is too close to the 35, and
the 18 is too wide to control the framing easily.

I had initially chosen the 24mm based on looking at pictures in John Shaw's
and Galen Rowell's books about nature photography. They usually list the
lens focal length with each picture, so you can get an idea of what kind of
perspective you will get with each lens. I discovered the utility of the 24
for house interiors when I was trying to document a remodelling project.

I've never used a 21, so can't speak directly to its utility.

Clearly it all depends on the kinds of shots you want to take, and what you
already own.

Yours in fascination and slight derangement,

Mark Davison