Subject: Re: [Leica] Scratches learned from Sherry
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:58:24 -0700

I learned from Sherry Krauter having E mailed her the following minibombshells:
Scratches were never a big issue with Leica cameras in the past.  The M4
underwent one modification in its lifetime and this was the sprocket
cover, the earlier one lending itself to scratching film.  This new
sprocket cover remedied the problem.  It was and still is a mandatory
replacement part.   With the M6 we are encountering much more film
scratching!  This is attributed to the sub-contracting out of parts,
with little or no quality control.  People are also scanning more, and
this seems to show up scratches that normally may not be apparent.  The
tolerances are just not there in the new products.  "They do not build
'em like they used to," certainly holds true.  She is working on a talk,
possibly for the LHSA convention, entitled "Spilling the Beans," the
bean counters of the M6.  It should be  extremely interesting with
production number runs, parts cheapening, etc.
I will be there with my six year old M6 that has exhibited no problems
so far but I haven't done much scanning from it. Ask your Repairpeople
what they think! They should know, especially if they are Leica trained.
Mark Rabiner