Subject: [Leica] Re: LF film and airport security
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:18:47 -0700

Thanks Ian,

One last question... or two...

When you use lead bags, are you packing these in your carry-on baggage, or
your checked baggage? The machines used for each are considerably different.

Those machines used for checked baggage can automatically
"crank-up-the-volume" in order to see into things. Very very destructive
for unprotected film. If protection is even possible. Richard Attenborough
(spelling?) found this out the hard way. Months of filming in Papua New
Guinea ruined. Do you have any experience here?

And, what brand/size/etc. lead bags have you used?

If you order film ahead, then use it there, you would have the same problem
getting it back unless it were processed there. I know you do all of your
own darkroom work so I suspect you bring it back. Of course, you only have
half of the trip to worry about, rather than the whole.

Many thanks Ian. Also, please keep us informed on how & what you are doing
in Bangkok.

:-)

Jim