Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica revisited & production tolerances
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 01:06:04 +1000

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 12:34 AM 5/2/99 +1000, you wrote:
> > > Someone who can say this has obviously NOT understood what is being
> > said here.
> > >
> > > Not understood what?
> >
> >Horst Schmidt
>
> Horst,

Horst,

I'm answering the privately because this horse has been beaten way beyond
recognition.

(This guy goes to his psychiatrist and says, "Doctor, I'm having those strange
dreams again." Doctor: What dreams? Man: "You know, the ones where
I'm into M, necrophilia and bestiality. Is there anything really wrong
with me, or am I just beating a dead horse?")

Anyway, what has been said on the list is that just because a few things
slip through Leica QC, that doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
that we should not conclude erroneously that the bean counters have taken over
and are determined to cheapen Leica as much as possible. The panics people
get into are way overboard sometimes. And those same people characterize
those of us urging reason over hyperbole to be saying that if a person should
get a defective Leica they should just eat it, and not expect top priority
service. They are dead, flat wrong. Period. Exclamation point. Fine.
Ende. Kaput. The high cost of Leica does cause us to expect the absolute
best service. Not perfect cameras with no defects.

Very few people can say Leica treats them poorly. But you wouldn't know
it by those folks who take a random act as some sort of personal attack
Eric,

Eric,   I think a response to your note is in order.

I believed, when I joined the LUG, it would be a reasonable open and democratic
discussion group. It seems, however, that there are a few persons who believe
that they are the all knowing, all perfect ones. The rest is only there to make
the numbers, or to agree. The few assume the right to tell all others , when
the subject is to be closed. There are as I believe about 700 LUG members. This
means that there should be about as many opinions on a subject, if they all had
the time and inclination to voice theirs.

Someone wrote: (Loosely) .Why don't you stop the topic and make Leica pictures
instead.
Well, think about it, if that's all you do, what do you need a LUG for. In
other words, all we would do then , is to advertise our web sides (if they
exist)
for the picture show. Don't say anything, unless you agree what the chosen few
are saying. We, the chosen ones, set the topic, start and finish. It also
assumes, that
our gear is working just at this moment.

There are the God like types, for example, Erwin Puts, The Guru of Leica. Erwin

who quotes the obvious: The latest lenses are better than the previous. Boy,
what a statement. With Leitz, and now Leica, this was always the case from the
start on.

Question on the LUG: I have a 1934 90mm Elmar, do you think the latest
aspherical Summicron is any better???

Answer: Hmm, I'm not sure, I think so, but you better read Erwins review!!.

In Erwins review it will tell you: the latest lens is better than the previous.
Obvious. It will tell you, That the micro resolution is perfect, it will tell
you, that the contrast is the highest ever .(Not always desirable) and that the
performance of the lens can not be bettered (until the next version is
released). It won't tell you, that this are bench test, of secondary importance
for a normal photog. It won' tell you, what really counts is the performance in
the field. This is what makes a Leica lens. New or old. This is, what makes
Leica lenses so special, and always has. However, If one does not agree with
the Guru (it has happened), then he sulks and threatens to leave the LUG. Until
of course a dozen or so other Lugers
suck up : Pleas stay, we need you. Please, please, please.

If one has the audacity to actually criticize some aspects of the Leica
performance, Then one is branded, “a Leica hater”.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Just because one criticizes  ones
country or the politics within, does not mean, that one doesn't love it.
I would say, not enough people criticize Leica products. Pity, because had they
done so, instead of accepting all that Leica does and says, as gospel, the
System may be more up to date.

Don't get me wrong. I love my M's. Especially the M2, 3 and 4’s I own. I had
a M6, but resold it again. Not because it was unreliable. It was perfect in
this regard, But I could not take the two Led's in the view finder glaring at
me. I walked away with 2 red triangles permanently burned in my eyes. But
serious now, have you ever looked trough the view finder of the Little Pentax
MX.? You'll see some very small , but easy readable LED's. in 3 colours.
It took Leitz/Leica 16 or so years before they managed to put a centre led in
to the readout. Also, the release was not as smooth as with the non metered
M's. I know there is a reason for this. No matter why, its just not as smooth.
Then the most idiotic idea was,  having to set the shutter speed dial to B, to
switch of the meter. Boy, what a strange system. I like to have my shutter
preset to 1/125 or 1/250 to be ready. Not having to move clumsy speed dials
first.

Only by chance did Leica figure out, after releasing the M6J, that a longer
base range finder may be useful. It was not that they consulted and listened to
the many customers and users, who, by the way, already knew it.

May be the M7 if it ever comes. Will have a back loading system and such an
elementary thing , as a memo holder to fit the flap of your film packet.

Having said all this, still does not mean I hate Leica. If I did I would not
use it. After all, there are many other good , easier to use system.
But using and owing it, gives me the right to praise or criticize it.

What really gets me, if some LUGers tell me , after they had their
say:”end of conversation, enough, no more.” We know it better anyway. What a
nerve.

I hope I made my point. This time without sarcasm or humor. (the Australian
German humor seems to be to subtle for most of the US population. It probably
lacks the simplicity of the American sitcoms).

Now I suppose I upset quite a few people:
Marc Small would have felt he was personally attacked,
Erwin Puts will sulk,
Jim Brick will advise me to sell all my Leica gear
and you will tell me, that I had not understood.

So be it.   Horst Schmidt