Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon is not consumer friendly. Period. Maybe you pros have better luck.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:07:38 -0400

Harrison-
Even though I work in the lab, I have occasion to work the counter and deal
with customers, and your observations can be generalised pretty well. If you
hunker down with the customer, find out what he or she needs to get their
work done (needs met), and not only meet, but reasonably exceed their
expectations so they feel they get their moneys worth, they come back. I
know we charge twice what WallyWorld or the other mass photofinishers charge
for a processed roll (12.99!) but we do the best we can with what the
customer gives us, and the secret is the repeat business.
I have heard many people say that Canon makes an intuitively easy camera to
use, one that works well, and is reasonably durable, and in the case of
pros, they work at meeting or exceeding the expectations of their customers.
As a result, they are eating Nikon's lunch.
I remember the saying that you sell the 'sizzle' not the steak- but you had
better have a pretty good 'steak' when it's all said and done, and Canon
does a pretty good job of backing their claims.  I was amazed at the new
Rebel 2000- Now I use  a lot of older Leica, and Rollei stuff, but here was
a camera I could pick up, and within 5 minutes, I felt comfortable with it!
I still haven't figured out the Nikon N70, yet!
Sorry for the long post...but I think Leica could learn a few things about
marketing from Canon!
Dan