Subject: Re: [Leica] MALLORY FOUND! CAMERA?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 10:05:10 -0400

At 11:38 AM 5/3/99 +0100, Doug McLernon wrote:
>The BBC reported this morning that both of them  had Kodak VP cameras with
>them. The party is now looking for the  cameras.
>
>Given the temperature (my opinion) it is perfectly possible that any film
>found would produce an image.

Well, Mallory had with him a Kodak VP camera lent him by Howard Somervell,
his tent-mate;  Somervell's nephew is the BBC producer who is along.  This
was the same camera Somervell had used to photograph Norton on 6 May 1924,
the highest picture to be taken to that date.  The other camera is more
problematic:  Noel Odell, the last man to see Mallory and Irvine, informed
Tom Holzel a few years before he passed away (Odell, that is:  I spoke with
Tom on the phone yesterday, and he is very much alive!) that he had lent
Irvine a camera but couldn't remember the type or make of the camera after
65 years.

Kodak has offered to process any film found.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!