Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Rigid SM Summicron question.....
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 19:43:36 +0200

"Tom R. Rice" wrote:

>         I note that there are some _very_heavy_ prices
>         listed in Shutterbug for the rigid-mount 50mm
>         f/2 Summicron lens in screw-mount form.
>
>         I have one of these, use it frequently, but if
>         it's really worth >$3500, I think I'll lock it
>         in the safe!  Can some kind listmember explain
>         why this guy is so hot?

Summicron 50 rigid chrome:
1.160 screw mount = rarity R8 = exhibition item = once in 5
years
57.980 bayonet mount  = rarity R2 = slightly unusual = once
in 14 days

The safe is a good idea.
;-)

Now, not all the screw mount rigid Summicron are original.
Some were modified after they left the factory.

Is the serial number duplicate inside the mount,
when you remove the head ?
If not, it may be a sign that it was not originally made
like that.
The screw mount was also sold alone (without lens head).

Lucien