Subject: Re: [Leica] AF and rangefinders: one photographer's experience
From: "4Season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 20:55:12 -0600

Thanks for that post, Mark!

I'm not for or against high- or low-tech; I'm in favor of APPROPRIATE tech!

I like autofocus, but I also like quick visual confirmation of what it's
focused on, and like being able to quickly seize control (or disable) if
it's not doing what I want.

I like program-mode automation, but I like being able to twirl a handy dial
in order to alter those default settings, in 1/3-stop increments.

I like matrix metering, but before I'm entirely comfy with it, I like going
out and deliberately trying to confound it, in order to know where it's
likely to fail and how.

I like auto-loading and motorized rewind, but really like seeing my film
rewind knob spinning. I haven't lost a single shot due to a misload in
years, and maybe it's because I always, always ensure that this knob is
spinning!

I like full-information viewfinder displays, but only if they're
well-designed, telling me what I want to know in a way that I digest
quickly. Match needles were good, but sometimes hard to see. Graphical LCDs
can be terrific when properly done. Why graphical? Because seeing a bargraph
or "needle" can tell me as much as seing a digital readout, but in a way
that I can interpret from the corner of my eye.

I like being able to fire off a shot immediately, and check focus and
exposure settings if I have time to try additional shots. An AF camera that
would fire immediately if it's shutter release were pressed firmly--that'd
be kind of neat! Let it tweak the settings to perfection as the camera was
blazing away--who knows how many slightly blurry masterpieces might be saved
in this manner. While we're at it, let's program the camera not to return
the lens to a parked position after each shot, but instead, only refocus if
needed.

Dials and levers are great; pushbuttons can be a real pain; multifunction
ones especially so. Exceptions: Not too bad for seldom-used functions, like
setting date and time.

Depth of field scales are always fashionable, and, on SLRs, so are DOF
preview levers.

Electronic cameras are great; I just prefer that they be no larger or
heavier than their spring-powered counterparts. Quick-change batteries are
great.

Digital will be great once we no longer have to make excuses for the
results, or grumble about the handling.

Jeff

PS: I too hope to get some digital prints going, once the Epson Photo 1200
arrives. I am much impressed with the quality of drum scanning the
originals, but might consider a sub-$1K scanner of my own, for
less-challenging images. Frankly, darkroom work beyond film processing, is
really not working out well for me, due to the lack of any permanent space.
I sometimes find myself eyeing 8x10 cameras, because I love the thought of
getting 8x10 images simply by contact printing!