Subject: [Leica] Focus on the M (was Autofocus (AF, a FAD?))
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:48:02 -0700

Bob writes:

>> I've been using my M6 at weddings with Delta 3200 film rated at 1600 using
>> available light. My 'hit' ratio is pathetic. I'm happy with maybe 3 shots
>> per roll....

I don't understand what you mean by "hit ratio."  If you are only getting 3
shots per roll that you really like you are doing great (imo).  If you are
only gettting three usable shots or shots that are in focus, that is something
else.

What I generally do is take a three shot sequence of people;  the first being
from the postion that I perceive a photo, then a step or two left then right.
Usually one of the three will capture a moment that is worth printing.  I try
not to tweak the exposure, but if using the M6 rather than M3, I sometimes
involuntarily do so.  The whole sequence only takes a few seconds.

>> When I shoot headshots for actors/entertainers I use my Canon A2 ; I
>> haven't had enough experience to 'nail' headshots with my 90 tele-elmarit
>> yet.... especially shooting at f8 and f5.6; I need to be sure I'm getting
>> the focus.

If you are shooting at f5.6 or smaller, you should nail it everytime with the
M.  I have been consciously shooting the 90 and the 75 at f4 or faster.  I can
nail the eyes 19 times out of 20.  The major problems occur when:

1.  I have been neglecting the M and shooting with an SLR.  For some reason
the transition is difficult.  I should probably change the way I shoot with
the SLR.

2.  I don't trust the camera and try to take photos as if I were doing brain
surgery.  Usually I forget that the rangefinder uses both the split-image and
coincident method  --- I prefer the split-image and will waste time looking
for a line.

3.  I have forgotten to roughly prefocus the lens before I use the
rangefinder.  I have had some really out of focus pictures where lines were
predominant in the rangefinder image.  I usually match the wrong lines and am
out of focus 15 or 20 feet.  I try to prefocus the lens at the maximum
estimated distance and then turn the lens focus in to finalize focus with the
rangefinder.

If you are doing head and shoulder shots, you are usually (with a 90 mm)
somewhere around 7-9 feet away.  Get the eye area in focus, then sway back and
forth as the subject moves rather than try to refocus the lens.

There was a thread some time back (I think initiated by Chandos Michael Brown)
regarding the rangefinder and the impact of edges on the types of picures that
one shoots.  I thought about that quite a bit.  I think it is somewhat
true --- we tend to look for scenes that have edges upon which to focus.  I
also think that, in my case, I am much more likely to shoot a vertical format
picture with the rangefinder than with an SLR or MF on a tripod.

Perhaps we perceive through the eyes of our tools rather than use out tools to
capture our perception.

Regards,

Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net