Subject: [Leica] A way of photographing and autofocus.
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:04:14 -0700

In My Humble Opinion.

My format of choice is 4x5. This is a complete "do it yourself" system.
Leica, for the most part, is also a "do it yourself" system. My Linhof and
Leica "meld" well. Mutually inclusive.

I'm always blown away at the richness, sharpness, absolute quality, that I
get with my 4x5 Linhof, Schneider, Rodenstock, and Velvia. 30x40's look as
though you could walk right in. There is no hint of degradation from grain
or anything else. They look "real".

In this respect, 35mm is disappointing. Even MF can't compete. But my Leica
glass produces results that can be printed to a reasonable size and still
look good. Last week I made 16x20 Ciba's of a 35mm Velvia slides of scenes
in wine country. Sterling Vineyards entrance, diminishing tree and grape
vine rows, all in fall colors. I used my 24mm R lens at f/16. Not exactly
the best of everything, according to some. Minolta lens at the smallest
f/stop. Also some Ciba prints of flowering plum trees across the end of a
green field and diminishing fence row with my 70-180 APO zoom. These max'ed
out at 11x14 because I cropped the image. But they still look good. Just
don't "up close" critically compare large 35mm prints to large LF prints.
The prints are all gorgeous and will be hanging proudly on the company
walls, in the board room, and lobby, amongst my 30x40's from LF.

My photography cannot in any way, make use of AF. When I use my Leica R
cameras, they are on tripods and in manual mode. Velvia, mirror lockup,
probably a polarizer. Around 1/4 sec @ f/16 or equivalent.

But that's not saying that AF doesn't have it's place. When using AF, one
is indulging in a particular type of photography. More like "record"
photography than artistic photography. Record the birthday party, record
the wedding, record the basketball player, record the 100m dash, record an
auto race... If one is using AF, one is probably also using AE (auto
exposure). Basically P&S. In this respect, the key elements that the
photographer controls are film type and composition.

I'm of the opinion that people who buy and use Leica cameras are more tuned
into the "complete process of photography", from start to finish. Rather
than only the tail end... film type and composition. Artistic composition
and autofocus/autoexposure, many times, are mutually exclusive. For me,
they are always mutually exclusive.

But Ted, Eric, Michael Hintlian, perhaps Harrison McClary, Tina, Donal, and
of course many others, seemed to have mastered documentary, reportage,
sports, (and all other types of photography) using Leica equipment. And
there are situations that they encounter that a more automatic camera could
be an advantage, but it obviously isn't always a necessity. They not only
know how to do it, but do it perfectly and with consistency. Can you
envision Tina using an AF Leica? Not likely.

For Leica to move into the AF market, there is a lot to look at. What
percentage of the existing customer base would indulge? What percentage of
new camera buyers would be swayed away from Canon/Nikon/Minolta/Pentax?
Just where is the market for an AF Leica? Every single Leica user that I
know, uses Leica because it is a camera that lets you "practice the
discipline of photography." As do all LF cameras, and nearly all MF
cameras. I'm not sure I understand the utility in the Contax AF Medium
Format camera. That's a lot of R&D and production money for a minuscule
slice of the market.

If the AF method were non-intrusive, like I believe Contax 35, then Leica
cameras will essentially operate as they do now but with the capability of
focus assist when deemed necessary by the user. Making completely new lens
mechanics, to incorporate motors, or to put Leica optics in
Minolta/Canon/Nikon/whomever lens barrels, seems ludicrous.

Where's the market? There are an awful lot of photographers, that use
non-AF cameras. Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei, Linhof, Sinar, and dozens of
other brands, that will not be enticed by an AF Leica, or an AF Hasselblad,
or an AF 4x5.

I personally believe that the fast, do everything, AF market is already
mature and saturated. And that Leica would be foolish to spend it's funds
trying to break in. Leave Leica lenses and camera operation as it is. Add
focus assist in some form or another to help those who need it. But don't
have it interfere with the way that the Leica is used.

That's why most of us use Leica. Because we think we know more about the
way our subject matter should be rendered on the film, than any camera
manufacturer does. Give me the straight forward controls and let me do the
work. Assist me only if I ask. Rather than the other way around.

If you need an AF camera, go get one. There are plenty to choose from. But
let's hope that Leica doesn't make a "me-too" AF camera.

As I said, IMHO.

Jim